Social networking actuaries group - SYDNEY volunteers
The Social Networking Actuaries Group (SNAG) is looking for two additional Sydney based members to join its committee, primarily focused on helping to organise and host events in Sydney.
Please contact Leonie Semmens if you are interested in joining.
Actuaries working in Wealth Management
If you are an Actuary working in Wealth Management in its broadest sense, you can make a difference, by volunteering to collaborate with fellow professionals for the good of the public. The Wealth Management Sub-Committee is looking for people who can help with Working Groups/ “SWAT teams” to address issues facing the sector, and most importantly the consumer.
Whether you work in investment management, financial advice, stock-broking or have an interest in this field, we would welcome your contribution.
Areas of focus might include:
- financial literacy, consumer interest and awareness around the need to save/invest;
- highlighting and/or removal of conflicts and/or flaws in the system;
- improving regulatory oversight; and
- assisting financial advisors’ transition to a profession.
All those interested should email convenor Douglas Isles to receive an invite to a “brainstorming session” on Friday 5 July at 4pm.
Every contribution is welcomed – this is a voluntary group that aims to make a positive difference.
YAP Melbourne - now recruiting
The Young Actuaries Program (YAP) Melbourne is a committee within the Actuaries Institute that hosts seminars, workshops and networking events open to both actuarial students and qualified actuaries in the workforce. Our events aim to keep our members informed on relevant issues facing the actuarial community and to connect actuaries across industries.
Examples of recent events include:
- A deep dive into longevity risk in retirement from both an industry and an academic perspective
- A joint event with the “Group of Retired Actuaries in Melbourne” focusing on bridging the gap between the young and the wise
- A speed networking event to increase our members’ professional connections
As a committee member, your role will be to help organise events from the ground up. This will involve communicating with industry leaders, members and the Institute, organising venues, managing the logistics of running events and writing articles for the Institute newsletters. In this role you will have plenty of opportunities to expand your corporate connections and deepen your understanding of the actuarial profession.
We are currently looking for an individual who:
- Is enthusiastic about actuarial studies
- Has good interpersonal skills
- Is currently working or has previously worked in a relevant actuarial role
- Is available to attend semi-regular meetings
- Has some experience in organising or running events
Please send the following Melbourneyap2019@gmail.com:
- Contact details
- A brief summary of your actuarial background
- A few sentences on why you would be a good fit for the team
- Any future events or activities that you would like to organise with YAP
If successful, we will contact you with the next steps.
high school volunteers
The Actuaries Institute's High School Program aims to nurture the interest of mathematically gifted high school students so they are able to consider the actuarial profession at an early stage. We organise school visits where volunteers will deliver a presentation on the profession, outline pathways and also engage in Q&A and share their personal journey to becoming an actuary.
We are looking to further expand and improve the program in 2019. If you are interested in becoming involved in the program or would like more information, please contact Jennifer Yu.
This page will be updated regularly with new and existing vacancies. In the meantime, please send any volunteering expressions of interest to volunteers@actuaries .asn.au