Students wishing to enrol in the Actuaries Institute Education Program are required to become a Student Member. Student members are able to enrol in courses and examinations or claim course exemptions and receive the benefits of affiliate membership including:
- access to career opportunities advertised with the Actuaries Institute, including vacation employment and graduate programs;
- exclusive invitations to Actuaries Institute activities and events; and
- the latest technical and professional Information and research with Actuaries magazine, the Australian Journal of Actuarial Practice and e-communications including:
- Daily News Summary;
- Events Update;
- Institute Bulletin; and
- Practice Committee Newsletters.
Students wishing to become a student member should submit an Application for Membership signed by two referees, with a certified copy of their academic record.
Students currently enrolled in an approved university course on a full-time basis may be classed as a Full-Time Student Members. Full-time student members are entitled to subsidised membership fees by providing proof of full-time enrolment.
Accredited University Graduates or Students
Students who have studied, or gained entry to, an Actuaries Institute accredited education program are eligible for student membership. View details of accredited universities.
Graduates from an Australian or New Zealand university should have a degree majoring in mathematics or statistics, or honours in a non-mathematical subject, and demonstrate a sufficient standard of mathematics through university or school grades.
Graduates need to have completed their Higher School Certificate equivalent and received a ranking of 95 or higher when converted. Subjects must include English and high-level Mathematics.
Australian school leavers are required to have undertaken:
- NSW - Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2;
- VIC - Specialist Mathematics;
- QLD - Mathematics C;
- SA and NT - Specialist Mathematics;
- WA - Mathematics – Specialist;
- TAS - Mathematics Specialised; or
- ACT - Specialist Mathematics.
New Zealand Students
New Zealand school leavers are required to have gained the necessary passes in the National Certificate of Educational Achievement Level 3 including English, Maths with Calculus and/or Maths with Statistics, or the current equivalent. A high level of achievement is required for mathematical subjects.
International students are required to have an International Baccalaureate Diploma with English and Maths at higher level (HL).
Please note: Eligibility for School Leavers is provided as a guide only. Applications for student membership will be assessed individually.
Apply to become a Student Member