Students wishing to enrol in the Actuaries Institute Education Program are required to become a Student Member. Student members are able to enrol in courses and examinations or claim course exemptions and receive the benefits of affiliate membership including:
- access to career opportunities advertised with the Actuaries Institute, including vacation employment and graduate programs;
- exclusive invitations to Actuaries Institute activities and events; and
- the latest technical and professional Information and research with Actuaries magazine, the Australian Journal of Actuarial Practice and e-communications including:
- Daily News Summary;
- Events Update;
- Institute Bulletin; and
- Practice Committee Newsletters.
Students wishing to become a student member should submit an Application for Membership signed by two referees, with a certified copy of their academic record.
Students currently enrolled in an approved university course on a full-time basis may be classed as a Full-Time Student Members. Full-time student members are entitled to subsidised membership fees by providing proof of full-time enrolment.
Accredited University Graduates or Students
Students who have studied, or gained entry to, an Actuaries Institute accredited education program are eligible for student membership. See Part I and Part II for details of accredited universities.
Graduates from an Australian or New Zealand university should have a degree majoring in mathematics or statistics, or honours in a non-mathematical subject, and demonstrate a sufficient standard of mathematics through university or school grades.
Graduates need to have completed their Higher School Certificate equivalent and received a ranking of 95 or higher when converted. Subjects must include English and high-level Mathematics.
Australian school leavers are required to have undertaken:
- NSW - Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2;
- VIC - Specialist Mathematics;
- QLD - Mathematics C;
- SA and NT - Specialist Mathematics;
- WA - Mathematics – Specialist;
- TAS - Mathematics Specialised; or
- ACT - Specialist Mathematics.
New Zealand Students
New Zealand school leavers are required to have gained the necessary passes in the National Certificate of Educational Achievement Level 3 including English, Maths with Calculus and/or Maths with Statistics, or the current equivalent. A high level of achievement is required for mathematical subjects.
International students are required to have an International Baccalaureate Diploma with English and Maths at higher level (HL).
Please note: Eligibility for School Leavers is provided as a guide only. Applications for student membership will be assessed individually.
Apply to become a Student Member