Investments Bridging Course
The content of the course has been designed to meet the International Actuarial Association’s (IAA) Subject 8: Investment and Asset Analysis. A mapping exercise to the IAA Subject 8 was completed to determine the content of this course. While some of this content is covered by the CT courses e.g. CT8 or Part II the Actuarial Control Cycle, most content is in Unit 1 and 2 of the existing Part III Course 1 Investments Course.
The Investments Bridging Course has two 2 units:
Unit 1: Investment Background
Unit 2: Asset Liability Management Course delivery The course is provided entirely online.
It consists of course materials, readings and interactive practice exercises. There are 3 prescribed textbooks (see below). There will be no teaching through tutorials or discussion forums. The course has no start and finish dates, with participants being able to enrol at any time. Participants have access to the course for an unlimited time with each enrolment.
There will be one online multiple choice test which comprises 100% of the assessment for the course. The test has a time limit of 1 hour and has 30 questions covering a range of topics in the course. Participants will have 3 attempts to pass the test per enrolment. If a participant fails 3 times, they can re-enrol in the course without any delay.
Participants will need to find a witness before they can sit the assessment. The witness must fill out and sign a form verifying that they will witness the participant login to attempt the test. The witness need to be an actuary or Fellow. The witness will be provided with a password, which will need to be entered into the system to attempt the test.
Witness form is available here.
No exam centres will be provided for the assessment. Participants will be able to sit the assessment on any computer with internet access at any time provided that their witness is present to witness them login.
The Investments Bridging Course is a temporary measure until the proposed Part IIB subject is introduced at accredited universities that deliver Part II. Part IIB was introduced at most accredited universities in 2011.
The Investments Bridging Course will continue to be offered after this time for a temporary period (TBC) for members who completed university when Part II was only comprised of the Actuarial Control Cycle.
The following people will be eligible to do the Investments Bridging Course:
- Members who completed the study for Part II, but not all Part I subjects, to the exemption standard before 2010.
- Students who were enrolled in the Actuarial Control Cycle course at accredited universities in 2010 who met the exemption standard.
- Members who completed Part II as The Actuarial Control Cycle only (i.e. those who did not complete Part II 2011 comprising Part IIA the Actuarial Control Cycle + Part IIB Investment and Asset Modelling) who need to complete an Investments related course to meet the requirements of Fellowship.
The following people will be ineligible to do the Investments Bridging Course:
- Students who are currently enrolled in an actuarial studies program at an accredited or a non-accredited university except for those eligible in point 2 above.
Readings are provided in the Learning Management System in PDF format, where possible, or as links to other websites. Printed course materials will not be provided to participants by the Institute.
The following textbooks are prescribed reading for the course. Sections of these prescribed textbooks are not made available in digital format in the Learning Management System.
- Fitzherbert, R. (2004). Investment Principles for Actuaries. Institute (purchased through the Institute at enrolment)
- Sherris, M. (1996). Money and Capital Markets (2nd Edition), Allen & Unwin (not available through the Institute)
- Viney, C. (2003). Financial Institutions, Instruments and Markets (4th Ed), McGraw-Hill (not available through the Institute).
Enrolments opened on 5 July 2010.
The course fee is $100.
Course Syllabus is available here.
Online enrolment is available here.
Manual enrolment is available here.
For further information on the Investments Bridging Course you can contact us via:
T: +61 (0) 2 9233 3466